What is the name of the church in Wittenberg Germany?
The Stadt- und Pfarrkirche St. Marien zu Wittenberg (Town and Parish Church of St. Mary’s) is the civic church of the German town of Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
What was the population of Wittenberg during the Reformation?
Wittenberg is situated on the River Elbe, 60 kilometers (37 mi) north of Leipzig and 90 kilometers (56 mi) south-west of Berlin, and has a population of 46,008 (2018). Wittenberg is famous for its close connection with Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation, for which it received the honorific Lutherstadt.
When is woship live at Wittenberg Lutheran Church?
Come join our Interim, Deacon GeoRene Jones and the Wittenberg Family for Woship LIVE at 10:00AM on Sunday, July 18th.
When did the Anabaptist movement start in Wittenberg?
The Anabaptist movement had one of its earliest homes in Wittenberg, when the Zwickau prophets moved there in late 1521, only to be suppressed by Luther when he returned from the Wartburg in spring 1522.
All Saints’ Church, commonly referred to as Schlosskirche (Castle Church) to distinguish it from the Stadtkirche (Town Church) of St. Mary’s – and sometimes known as the Reformation Memorial Church – is a Lutheran church in Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.
Who is the cantor at Schlosskirche Wittenberg?
Cantor Thomas Herzer plays the chorale fantasy about the Luther song “Christ, our Lord, came to the Jordan” by Michael Praetorius, whose 450th birthday and 400th anniversary of his death will be commemorated this year. Admission is free, a donation is requested at the exit.
When was All Saints Church in Wittenberg destroyed?
The church became the burial site of Martin Luther himself in 1546, and of Philipp Melanchthon in 1560. When during the Seven Years’ War the Wittenberg fortress was occupied by the Prussian Army and shelled by Imperial forces in 1760, the Castle Church was destroyed by a fire resulting from the bombardment.
When was Frederick the Wise buried in Wittenberg?
Frederick the Wise died in 1525 and was buried in the Castle Church. In the same year, the Lutheran rite was implemented. The church became the burial site of Martin Luther himself in 1546, and of Philipp Melanchthon in 1560.
Who was the architect of All Saints Church Wittenberg?
On the occasion of the fourth centenary of Luther’s birth in 1883, an extensive restoration of All Saints’ in a Neo-Gothic style was begun under the supervision of the Prussian architect Friedrich Adler by his disciple Paul Ferdinand Groth (1859-1955).
Where is the painting of Martin Luther in Wittenberg?
Above the doors is a tympanum crucifixion painting that portrays Luther on the left with his German Bible translation, and Philipp Melanchthon on the right, with the 1530 Augsburg Confession, the main confession of faith in the Lutheran Church which was formed by Luther and Melanchthon.