How can I get a 1040A tax form?

Get the current filing year’s forms, instructions, and publications for free from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

  1. Download them from
  2. Order by phone at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676)

Is there a 1040A form for 2019?

For your 2019 taxes, which you file in early 2020, you will use this new 1040. That means you can no longer use the 1040A unless you are filing a return for tax year 2017 or earlier.

What tax form to use if you own a home?

To deduct expenses of owning a home, you must file Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or Form 1040-SR, U.S. Income Tax Return for Seniors, and itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). If you itemize, you can’t take the standard deduction.

When to use Form 1040A?

In addition, form 1040A is ideal if your claim any one of the following income adjustments: IRA contribution deduction, student loan interest, tuition or educator expenses. You may also use form 1040A if you claim certain credits like child tax, education and earned income credit.

Who can use Form 1040A?

Form 1040A was a simplified version of Form 1040. The two-page form allowed taxpayers to report ordinary income, some deductions, and credits. Individuals who fell under any of the five status options—single, head of household, married filing separately, married filing jointly, or widowed—could file their tax returns using the 1040A.

What is a 1040 tax form?

Key Takeaways Form 1040 is what individual taxpayers use to file their taxes with the IRS. The form determines if additional taxes are due or if the filer will receive a tax refund. Personal information, such as name, address, Social Security number, and the number of dependents, are asked for on Form 1040.

Which tax form do I use?

Individual taxpayers in the United States use IRS Form 1040 when filing their federal income taxes. The form comes in three varieties — the standard 1040, the 1040A, and the 1040EZ. The purpose of the 1040 is to report your income, claim your deductions, exemptions, and tax credits, and to calculate your federal income tax.